Monday, October 1, 2007

Pirates and robots

So Natalie is finally on the blog and is instantly taking it over. Good, someone needs to add a little cheer and sunshine around here. Let me just share a little thought that has been going through my head a lot lately. There was a really good local band that just split up a few months ago called XYZebra. They were one of the first local bands that really impressed me. Anyway, they have a song called "Of Pirates and Robots" and it is a song about them breaking up. See, one of the band members decided that he would be better off if he went up to Idaho to go to school. This song is the response of one of the other band memebers. It goes a little something like this. Click the title to give it a listen.

Of Pirates and Robots
I know that ship’s just not what she used to be,
We could talk all night and pretend that she is.
The ocean we made can’t be crossed, it’s impossible
Yeah the calm of the current is unmistakable.

You said that we should be honest, but you’re not willing.
You said those guys were just fillers, so what were you filling?
Oh well.

I’ll say what you need to make you believe this is for the best
Cause I’m moving on.

No, that ship’s just not what she used to be.
Yeah, the hole in her hull is so irreparable.
The ocean we made can’t be crossed, it’s impossible
Yeah the calm of the current is unmistakable.
And so is our mistake.

We still believe in miracles, don’t we?

I’m not offering solutions to problems
That we could better solve on our own
On our own… …Oh well.

I’ll say what you need to make you believe this is for the best.
Gather your things and move to the north where you’re better off.
Don’t say you’re home! Don’t say you’re back where you don’t belong!
Cause I’m moving on.

No, that ship’s just not what she used to be.
Yeah, the hole in her hull is so irreparable.
The ocean we made can’t be crossed, it’s impossible
Yeah the calm of the current, oh!

So, I know this sounds cheezy, but this song has got me real choked up the last couple days. It reminds me a lot of how I was feeling when Chris told me that he had to move to Portland or he was gonna go crazy. We had been doing AZMR for about a year, and I thought things were great. Then he just up and left. Well, he's doing good, but I sure miss him. Chris, whenever you're ready, come home.

7 comments:

ducklips said...

Way to make me cry Tom.

CDR said...

It is great to hear from you. How are your sisters? This will be a great way to keep in touch. Thank you the sweet compliments. I was not expecting my blog to become such a source of strength for me. You have such cute boys, haircuts can be a struggle around here.
Chari

Merilee said...

I was doing OK til the last line. You brat. I'm so glad you guys are such awesome brothers though.

NanaB said...

It is so very hard for two hearts and minds to be on the same wave length at the same time. And sometimes we think we have that going on because we are so content with what is happening, not knowing some of the deficiencies in the other persons perceptions of life at that moment.I join you in wishing Chris were here, and yet he seems so much happier in Oregon. I"ll be content with his happiness, just wish he could reconnect to church.

Emily said...

awww...

jaust.me said...

ok, so many different levels here. First, I went to the site to hear the song. My comp was muted so I turned on the sound and started to listen. I thought, "wow, no wonder Tom likes these guys, they sound exactly like the Cure." Then I realized that it was The Cure playing on the blog and I had to go pause that. Suddenly, they sounded much less like the cure. In my defense, I had the volume really low, because the kids are watching tv in the same room.

Next, I went back and finished the blog. So sad. I miss Chris too, so do my kids. You probably miss him lots more than I do. We did have some fun time hanging out as grown ups in that short time between mission and Oregon, though. I remember one day we went to lunch with my friend Cindy and she asked me a question about church that I just wasn't sure how to answer. Chris had the perfect words to say. I was very impressed. She understood what he meant perfectly. I would have SO overexplained.

bogle.chris@gmail.com said...

I miss you too bro, so much it's stupid. but moving to portland has been the best thing I have ever done. I mean I have an amazing girl friend, this is the longest I've ever held a job, I'm making plans to go back school, and I am for reals happy. I wish more then anything that I got to see my family more, maybe if i made more money. I have learned more about my self in the last year and a half then i then i had known the previous 23 years of life. I have no clue were or how i well end up in life, but i will have my family and my big brother tom as close as possible.