
Anyone want to hike to Reavis Ranch and haul a bunch of apples out? Then when we get back we can make gallons of applesauce and apple butter. I went on that hike as a 16 yr old scout and thought it was so much fun. It didn't matter that our scout leader misread the scale and thought it was a 2 mile hike, or that we hiked until 2 a.m. only to camp at the appropriately named "Windy Pass". It was all worth it to get up at sunrise to watch the deer eating apples right off the tree, then help myself when the deer finally left. We ate so many apples that we made ourselves sick, but it was an awesome place and the apples were spectacular, even though they are no longer maintained. Or if no one wants to go on the 20 mile hike carrying 30 lbs of apples on your back, maybe we can go out to Mother Nature's Farm in Mesa or Schnepf Farms in Queen Creek, but the apples aren't free there. I guess it may still be cheaper than driving to the trailhead, but come on people! Where's you sense of adventure!



11 comments:
i'm in. for going on the hike, maybe not so much to those farm things... soon? megan promised to make me apple pie if i go. i tried editting my last comment, but ended up having to delete it.
ZO WANTS THE BIG LETTERS, SO I AM NOT YELLING, JUST PACIFYING MY 3 YR. OLD.
I SO WANT TO GO. ARE WE SPLITTING UP THE 30 LBS OR EACH CARRYING 30 LBS?
HOW ABOUT THE WEEKEND AFTER TY'S WEDDING, OR IS THAT TOO FAR AWAY?
The weekend after the wedding may be too far out. The apples are good now. And for anyone else who wants to know, it is 30 lbs each (or as much as you can carry on the 10 mile hike out). I was thinking next Saturday if anyone wants to go. It would be an all day thing, leaving at sunrise and getting home after dark. I really wish I could make a camping trip out of it, but my current work scheduled does not permit that.
that sound so freakin awesome! I wish I could go.
Hey Nicole, I don't know what this private blog business means, but I would love to read yours. if your up for it please hand out the invite.
Merilee- I need your email address in order to send you an invitation. You can post it here or tell Natalie to send it to me.
TOM,
NEXT SAT DOESNT WORK FOR ME BECAUSE I HAVE A CAMPOUT PLANNED WITH THE YOUNG MEN BUT, THIS SATURDAY WOULD BE AWESOME. ARE YOU SURE THIS IS THE YEAR THEY PRODUCE BECAUSE I KNOW THEY ONLY PRODUCE EVERY OTHER YEAR.
Merileecameron@comcast.net
Wow, you guys are so insanely cool, or wait, I just mean insane. That does sound awesome. I worried that it would not translate to real fun though.
It IS real fun. I didn't actually go to the ranch, though, because I turned east and headed to the falls. The cliff fell before we went. IT is still the tallest waterfall in the state, but the pretty pools are gone. Awesome hike!
I'm Carrie Schnepf with Schnepf Farms. just an FYI, in the valley our apples are ready about two months ahead of everyone else. So if you want to do apple picking sooner, you can come to the farm in June or July. Same with Peaches, they are ready in May.
Hope that helps. the fruit is especially designed for our desert climate. Glad you had fun.
Post a Comment