1 year ago
Monday, August 4, 2008
I'm starting a garden club....
for guys, aged 20 - 40. No ladies! Okay, not really, but that is what it felt like yesterday when I taught Elder's quorum. I found out a couple weeks ago that I was teaching, but was never given a topic. At our presidency meeting I finally asked what I was supposed to be teaching on. I was informed that since it was a presidency choice I could teach whatever I wanted. That's a loaded gun, right there! Now, there are a million different topics that I could have taught, but I wanted to try something different. So, I taught the Elders in my ward about gardening. Don't worry, it came straight out of a priesthood manual and I backed it up with conference talks, scriptural references and primary songs, so it was legit. Not only that, but Natalie overheard one of the guys in class tell his wife that he was going to start a garden. Then today, Reuben and I helped another brother in our ward pick a good location and give him some tips on getting started. Sounds like the lesson was effective too. I think it is awesome that so many guys around my age are interested in gardening, or, as I like to call it, micro-farming (sounds not quite as gay). I have to give props to some of the guys who have always done it. Fortunately, it is "cool" now, so you don't have to hide anymore. Greenthumbs and greenhorns, stand and be proud! Even if you don't know what you are doing, but are interested, come join the club. So far, we meet at church on Sunday and through the occasional phone call. Let me know if you are interested.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I believe the "micro-farmer" in our house is a phone member of your club.
I heard it was a great lesson. I'm glad you could inspire people. You and I should go into the motivational speaking business together
Guys that garden have always been cool.
You'd be proud of me Tom. I've been going to the Farmer's Market and hitting all the small booths. I love it. What's the latest with your farm?
Too bad I'm not a guy and can't be part of your gardening club.
So, any business plans written up for your awesome gardening for other people business yet?
still sounds kinda gay to me
Post a Comment