Aaron tagged me so here goes (geez, I wish this were freeze tag instead).
Ten years ago I was...
Living with Lorin Ethington, Jordan Lilly, Monte Overton, Lucas Nunn and random other dudes that would crash in our one bedroom apartment in an old hospital. We had bb gun wars inside and had an old washing machine with a tv on top of it that we would shoot at with .22's through the bedroom window. The shells would melt into the carpet. I had graduated from Heritage Academy, but all my friends were in their senior year, so lunch at Chandler High was a regular thing for me. I was probably taking classes at CGCC or something, but didn't take them seriously. I was skateboarding everyday for at least a couple hours, often driving the 70 miles round trip to the Phoenix skatepark. I was delivering pizza at T.C. Luigi's driving a crappy little orange truck that my brother gave me. The thing was like a little tiny mazda with a camper and it looked like it had been rolled a couple times. It actually threw a rod one night while I was out on a far delivery like 10 miles away from work out in east jeebus nowhere. This was in the days before cell phones and it was 10:3o at night, so I had to walk 4 miles to a pay phone and called Jordan to come pick me up.
Five things on my "to do" list:
- Plant my fall crops (check my BFF blog for details).
- Find a good, cheap tractor to buy so I don't have to worry about my uncle loaning out mine.
- Convince Natalie that a Vespa would be a worthwhile investment due to the cost of gas.
- Figure out how to convert the old horse barn into a hip retro-modern home.
- Start making money so that I can afford numbers 1 through 4 on this list.
A snack I enjoy:
Pickles, but I'll settle for just about anything salty.
Five I'd do with unlimited money:
- Completely restore the old hospital.
- Get my Dad the care that he needs (Screw the insurance companies! They've ruined the American healthcare system! Don't get me started!)
- Buy a homestead in the middle of nowhere and live completely off the grid. There's freedom, right there!
- Go to Italy and become a certified Vespa mechanic just for kicks, then buy everyone I know a scooter and start a scooter club.
- Get back into promoting local music
Places I've lived:
- Chandler bred, Chandler dead!
- The historic Goodyear Hospital (twice and maybe again in the future)
- Somerville, MA
- Southy (South Boston, MA)
- Mesa
- Home again
I guess that's it. I'm gonna break the chain and not tag anyone. Sorry, but it really is too much of a commitment for me. I mean, then you have to go read the posts of people you tagged to make sure they do it, comment on their post, blah blah blah. How about if instead of you writing a whole bunch of crap, everyone who reads this just leaves a comment about something that you and I have in common, or just something that my post reminded you of. That sounds easy enough.
1 year ago



9 comments:
Do you ever wonder how we survived our teenage years? I remember one time when I was driving my parents mini van. I set the cruise control on 105 all the way up to Flagstaff. Another time, I took the exit ramp from the 101 onto the 60 too fast. I could see the concrete barrier getting closer and I could feel the tires slipping, and I thought "This is it!" Then for some reason, I didn't hit, or roll, I just survived!
That crew that you lived with sounds pretty crazy. Something we have in common: I love pickles.
What a funny world we live in . . . my brother just asked me the other day if I knew what Jordan Lilly was up to. I said I don't think I've seen him since Tom's wedding (and I can't even remember that for sure). Jordan --- what a crazy guy.
Veronica
Jordan is doing tattoos at Americana Tattoo in Scottsdale.
I really liked this post. I think it's interesting how people remember themselves in the past. Let's see, we have too many things in common, parents for one. The old hospital. All you crazy kids for neighbors, and to think I always blamed the gun shots on the other neighbors. The list could go on, but thanks for the trek down memory lane, li'l bro.
I've already said its a good thing we didn't know each other ten years ago! You guys were crazy. I know you want a Vespa but you don't even drive anywhere. All your work is at home. When you start driving places then maybe I will think about it.
That would be awesome to convert the old barn. Let me know when you decide to do it- I love projects like that and I could pitch in! (I can't speak for Aaron on that one, though LOL)
I love you, bro!
Haha, I totally just googled some of those wild boys yesterday looking to see what they were up to! I remember one time hanging out with Jordan at his apartment for some reason or another. I didn't really know him, and there was some sort of get together? I can't remember, but I totally love those guys!! AND, as a correction to my brother's statement about the mini van - we were actually racing at the time. I was in the Pathfinder with Donny Kaufman, and Aaron had about five people with him. I swear that van was on two wheels during the entire on ramp! I was yelling at him the whole time as if he could hear me. No one wants their brother to start off their adult life with manslaughter!!
Post a Comment