Monday, February 25, 2008

Farm Camp

So Reuben and I are trying our hand at farming. Even though I quit my job almost a month ago, I am still working ten hour days. However, this time I am loving it. I get tired and want to see my kids, I go inside the house and see my kids. Or sometimes, they come out and ride on the tractor with me. It is awesome! I come in at night dead tired, but I love this kind of work. Now we just have to figure out how make money at it. Here is the general plan: we farm the area in the Bogle compound immediately behind my folks house and on the opposite side of the barn. We start a farmer's market across the street from Snedigar on Saturday mornings, and grill corn and sell watermelon every night during baseball season. We will also try to get in with some of the independent restaurants in the area and grow produce for them. Reuben and I will do most of the work, along with other family members, but we are open to service projects from scouts and singles wards. Sounds awesome, right? Now here are some of the problems that we face to make it all happen. We do not own the land that we want to farm. The family does, but we do not. So far, no one has said anything, but I figure once we start plowing the other fields, they will start asking questions. Anyway, we need to acquire a portion of the land to make sure the family doesn't sell it to anyone else. The land costs way more than is really reasonable to farm, so if anyone wants to buy land and let me farm it, you got my number... The other thing is housing. That a different story altogether. I'll save that one. Anyway, right now we are picking peas and carrots (even some purple ones), broccoli, cauliflower, 2 different kinds of lettuce, radishes and more swiss chard than we know what to do with. If you have any recipes that use chard, send them my way. Reuben and I just planted our summer crop with basil, a couple of different dry beans, 3 kinds of tomatoes, 4 kinds of cucumbers, 3 kinds of watermelon, bell peppers, and 3 kinds of corn (2 ornamentals and one sweet corn). Also, our artichoke plants are looking pretty healthy and our purple cabbage is starting to head. We have plans to plant several varieties of pumpkin on the south end and having a U-pick pumpkin patch since that side is easily accessible from the park. We will plant those in early june to have some ripe by mid-october. We will have a couple regular orange varieties and a white one with 3 or 4 heirloom varieties of various colors. Right now, we really need to sit down and actually put a business plan together. We will have to schedule plantings and harvestings around markets and then take special orders and plan the layout of crops... at that point it gets to be a lot of the actual work and less of the play-in-the-dirt fun, but that is how you make the money. If anyone has anything special they would like us to grow, we'd be more than happy to do it. Just give me at least 4 - 5 months notice. This ain't fast food. Reuben and I seem to work well together, and even though neither one of us really knows exactly what we are doing, we sure get a lot of it done. We took an old trailer and got it fixed so we can use it. Reuben put up a gate to keep dogs and playful children out. Our current project involves a stainless steel sink and counter top that we put wheels on to make it portable. That way we can move it around and clean the produce right at the point of picking. We will just hook it up to a hose and have a drain hose that runs the water right back into the garden. That way none is wasted. We have several more projects in mind that will turn the garden into a more permanent farm, including a greenhouse and workshop, but they are all on hold until we figure out if we can buy the land or not. We have seen some pretty awesome land deals up by Snowflake that make a lot more sense to farm, but one of the reasons we want to do this is to preserve the history of the area where we grew up and to remind people who it was they made it possible for them to live in Arizona. No one here knows anything about the history of this area, because they are all from somewhere else. I remember as a young kid riding my bike through the Basha's complex to Dad's office to play games on his computer. He had this sign hanging on the wall that said "Don't knock farmers with your mouth full." I never understood it, thinking it meant to knock, like on a door. Anyway, now I understand. I guess this farming project is also a way for me to spit in the eye of all these jerks out here who think the old Goodyear water tower is just an eyesore. If you're not grateful for the farmers and ranchers who made this place what it is, at least recognize their contribution and respect the fact they they did something you were unable or unwilling to do. Okay, so all you english teachers out there, get off my back. I'm to tired to hit "Enter - Tab" to start a new paragraph. So, we are trying to find a name for our farm. My original idea was to do Bogle Family Farms or Bogle Bros. Farms, and try to ride a little bit of the Bogle Farms coattails, but I'm not sure Reuben is to keen on that idea. He suggested a name that his mom always wanted to use: Belly Acres. Funny, but not the best for a produce farm. Reuben then suggested Fleur de Lis Farms, but there is already a Fleur de Lis Farms in Gilbert. So, right now we are nameless and open to suggestions. In the meantime, I just call it farm camp, since it is kind of like summer camp for retarded 20-somethings who think they are farmers. Pictures coming soon, or just check the team Craghead blog.

19 comments:

KrisBo said...

so, this is pretty much the coolest thing ever. i hope you guys get the ok about the land. i would be up to help out saturday evenings or sunday and monday whenever. good luck!

Chad~Nicole said...

I have a lot to say, but here are a few thoughts...
1. I mentioned this to Natalie yesterday, but there's a guy out by us with a similar venture. Check out his website: crookedcarrot.com
2. I'm trying to think of "independent" local restaurants, and the first one that came to mind was Baby Cakes in downtown Chandler.
3. Try allrecipes.com for your chard. You can do an ingredient search and it will pull up anything that has it in there.
4. Chad's jealous. You're pretty much living his dream.
5. Sorry this is long...I'm sure I'll have more thoughts on this later.

L N Harris said...

You don't know me but Aaron Birch sent me this, because I am interested in sustainable agriculture. Check out http://www.polyfacefarms.com/, Joe Salatin is an expert on making small farms profitable. He has some books that talk about how to start and run a small farm, I have heard they are good. I think it is a great Idea. If you want more references or info on small farming just email me at lafe.harris@gmail.com

Merilee said...

Wow ee wow wow! I'm so stoked for you guys. I can't wait to check it all out in April. I can tell you are loving this so make sure you make it work( Tim Gunn's getting to me). So awesome!

Merilee said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you I sent Mom some Chard recipes in the mail.

ducklips said...

I love that you are taking what you love and making a go of it. That takes a lot of guts! I don't say that to scare, I just mean that I am very impressed and proud of my little brother and brother in law for following their hearts instead of bowing to the corporate world.
Take what you feel strongly about and live it.

Ok, it's late and I guess I'm feeling preachy. So, I will stop now. Way to go guys!

Chelsea said...

Tom this is so cool! Congrats and the best of luck! I wish I were there! I would be at your door step daily willing to buy FRESH good produce, rather than lots of the grocery store stuff. Can you start a co-op thing like I know your sis does? But have it be that all the money goes to you? And as for a name...sorry Rueben, but I think it should be a name with Bogle in it. But that's coming from someone who started a business and used our last name as the name! I love that your family is trying to perserve the true authenticity (is that the word I want to use?) about Chandler. I bet both sides of my inlaws families would be proud!

Cody said...

Tom as a fellow descendent of those amazing men and women who helped create Chandler and Arizona Good on ya Mate! That is awesome. There is deffinatly a bunch of farmer and cowboy still in my blood and you are doing those who made Chandler and the valley what it is proud!

Chad~Nicole said...

One more thing...I read in the paper this morning that very soon (I don't remember exactly when, but in the next few days) CGCC is having a thing for/about local growers/farmers markets. You may want to check it out.

Sheerstar said...

Long post*yawn*

Birches said...

I think you might be starting a revolution . . . . I know Aaron would love to join.

The Carpenter Family said...

Good luck! That is so great to do something you love!

Chris C said...

My suggestion on the name is "Farm Camp". I think it's perfect. Way to go. Merilee is begging me to move back down so she can work on your farm too. I told her to go ahead and go, who knows, she may just do it.

Way to go guys!

CDR said...

Wow. All my produce is organic and I would love to give my business to Natalie and family instead of Sprouts and Whole Foods. Sometimes they make me mad., they are not always the most helpful or cheerful.

Swiss Chard is a tricky one. This recipe is really more for the health benefits. Sauté the chard in a really good EVOO and chopped garlic and little sea salt. Helps fight heart disease. It tastes good to me now, but I admit it is somewhat of an acquired taste.

Well, the best of luck! It looks like there are some logistical things to work out but it sounds like a really great idea.

Chari

Mike [Bass-Man] said...

Dude that is freaking awesome. This may be among the coolest ideas you ever had. Dont let this end up like AZMR where you wanted it work out but someone moves away. This sounds like it could really turn into something. Best of wishes

bogle.chris@gmail.com said...

don't forget about the fence line to grow some vines like peas or hopps or beans. you know I'd love to be there helping you every freaking day.

Sheerstar said...

You are tagged. Rules:


1. Pick up the nearest book (one of at least 123 pages)

2. Open the page to 123

3. Find the 5th sentence.

4. Post the next 3 sentences

5. Tag 5 people.

Emily said...

Yes, I think Farm Camp is great! Maybe you could get people to pay you to come stay and farm and camp, like a Dude ranch, but farming. Didn't Mom always want to turn the house into a bed and breakfast? Of course, you'd have to buy the land and build a house, since I've just kicked you out for the visitors. That would teach people a bit o' appreciation, as well.

Emily said...

Oh, hey! It's really good to read you write something with a smile in the tone!