Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Make food, not grass clippings!

So I have been reading somewhat about a movement called "permaculture." Basically, it is the radical idea that people are wasting their land on growing grass instead of food. Now, I like a nice big lawn, but I have to say that I agree somewhat with their ideas. I can't even begin to try to promote the idea yet, because I just don't know enough about it yet, but I am very interested in learning more. Anyone want to help me experiment in Mom's garden?

11 comments:

Merilee said...

I'm in.

megan said...

and you called me a weirdo

KrisBo said...

mer you aren't even here to do any work!

Merilee said...

exactly

ducklips said...

I'm in Tom. Don't listen to all those crazies. I've got about as much time as you though so we will have to drag some more people in.

I was just reading an old Ensign where one of the prophets (I don't remember which) was saying to grow as much food as you could, instead of buying it in the store.

Emily said...

Tom, I thought the idea was to not have a yard, but make it all garden. If you use the garden, you are just, um, gardening. So, I challenge you to go replace mom's lawn with potatoes and carrots. Don't worry! Dad will jsut continue to move the water at 2 AM, and mom will only mow it a few times before she realizes it is food, not grass.

Emily said...

I need your email that you use for this site.

jaust.me said...

Tom,
After reading your post on Mer's sight, I have to say, I totally agree and sadly stay at home Mom doesn't pay either. I thought I found something that I enjoyed, but it turns out I enjoy teaching mature people who care about their education, not 12 year olds.
Also, I think the point would be to replace "your own" yard with food. That way it's not a chore to have to drive 1/2 an hour to get to your garden. You just have to walk outside. Maybe we really do need to continue research on a family commune. Maybe that is why mom and dad really had so many kids, so that we can all live together and take care of ourselves.

megan said...

mom told me there is an offer in the works for your house. I hope the people give you a good offer. That would be so great for you guys and such a big stress reliever

Emily said...

I wanted Dad to tell you "Hi" for me, but he probably forgot by the time he hung up the phone. Miss you! When are you coming to visit?

jaust.me said...

I'm for red and white carrots and purple cauliflower and tomatoes. What's the buy-in?